In honour of Organic September and Organic Beauty Week last week, I have decided to inform you of some of the chemical ingredients to avoid in your beauty products.
10 CHEMICAL INGREDIENTS TO AVOID, AND WHY.
1. PARABENS - Propyl, methyl, butyl or ethyl-Parabens are cheap preservatives that are used to stop fungus, bacteria and other microbes from growing in your products even though they are known to be highly toxic! Evidence suggest...s they have been linked to hormonal imbalances and could even become carcinogenic.
2. MINERAL OIL - A cheap, petroleum based oil that clogs the skin and has a masking effect of the skin that can interfere with its natural functions.
3. SODIUM LAURYL SULPHATE - Used in many soaps, shampoos and foaming cleansers. It is also used as an engine degreaser... Do you really want to put that on your skin or hair? Some experts believe it has the potential to react with other chemicals and form agents which are known to be carcinogenic.
4. SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCES - Made from a choice of more than 200 chemicals to cover the smell of other chemicals. They can cause symptoms such as headaches, lung problems, skin irritation, dizziness and rashes.
5. PROPYLENE GLYCOL - Used as an emulsifying base in a wide range of lotions and creams. it is derived from petroleum which is a known skin irritant, and is also known to cause allergic reactions and kidney and liver damage.
6. SILICONES - Can have the same effect on the skin as MINERAL OILS as they coat the skin and obstruct the its natural functions.
7. PHTHALATES - In nearly 80% of cosmetic and beauty products, even though they have toxic impact on humans and animal life. Some experts believe them to be mutagenic and that they could have and effect on fertility.
8. DEA & EDTA - Diethanolamine and Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid, hence why they're shortened! They're harsh solvents used in lotions and creams as an emollient. They can cause allergic reactions, and long term use has been linked to an increased chance of liver and kidney cancer.
8. BHT - Butylated Hydroxytoluene. It is a preservative used in beauty products that has been linked to breathing and lung impairment.
9. ALUMINIUM - A common ingredient used in antiperspirants, which has been linked to Alzheimer's.
10. TALC - Talc can be found in make-up, and obviously adult/baby powder. It has been linked to ovarian and testicular cancer as it has been known to cause tumours.
Have a look at the ingredients in your shampoo, face wash and body wash next time you're in the shower and I can guarantee you will find at least 2 of these chemical ingredients.
I obviously use a lot of the Neal's Yard products as they don't use any of these nasty chemicals, but there are many more companies that are against using them too!
I hope this post inspires you to at least check your beauty products and see what is really in them. Have a look at the Neal's Yard Products and try at least one product this month in honour of Organic September. Go to www.uk.nyrorganic.com/shop/vanessawithey